Monday, September 21, 2009

Reflections of the Heart

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
Wow....CONVICTED! I often want to know the latest news or am somewhat...okay, let's be honest, I am offended when something monumental occurs in a friend's life, and I find out about via facebook. I like telling people about my life, my struggles, joys, victories, worries...complaints. But for what purpose? Am I sharing with others out of selfishness or out of motivation to bring God glory?
I'm supposed to make it my goal to live a quiet life- to me that shouts: SIMPLICITY! I do not need to be super-wife or that amazing upperclassman who does everything right on top of finding time to bake bread and train for a marathon. I do not need to volunteer for absolutely everything at church. Quiet living....simplicity.
The next line makes me laugh- MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! How many times did I snidely say that to my siblings growing up? Yet, Paul is giving us strict orders to do just that- don't be nosey! If friends aren't volunteering information, why should I press the matter if in the long run it isn't beneficial?
I am to work with my hands....when we are lazy, the devil has a massive foothold on our lives! Thanks for the practical advice, Paul. Also, when we are working for God's glory, the joy becomes contagious...so watch out! ;)
All of this not only brings glory to God, but here's something else to ponder....my daily life will win the respect of outsiders. Wow...the simplicity of these instructions provides an amazing testimonial tool for my friends who do not have a personal relationship with Christ.
1. live a life filled with simplicity
2. mind my own business
3. work with my hands
I can do this! I can live my daily life for God's glory and be super-wife, super-christian, or super-anything...to think I often trick myself into believing the lie that I have to do EVERYTHING to win the respect of others.
I love this last line...so that you will not be dependent on anybody. If I am living a simple life, I will not be depending on the many schedules and/or demands of other people- I will be able to clearly focus on God, my husband, and school. If I mind my own business, I will not be depending on others to keep our conversations confidential, because I will not have been told or given information that shouldn't have been shared. If I work with my hands, I will not be dependent upon others for monetary relief or worry about having to pay somebody back.
Well, now that I've shared these thoughts with you, it's time for me to live them!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah.....you are such a doll, and never fail to make me giggle.....I admit I am one of your faithful readers that thinks WONDERFUL thoughts but doesn't comment.......lol...sorry. I am turning over a new leaf and be watching for a comment everytime. I will be praying for you and Andy as you search for employment. I am proud of you Hannah for the grown up girl you have become...take care..and God Bless.
    Your Cousin
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and I will be commenting on "Just a Few Miles as Well....my bad!!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete