Monday, January 3, 2011

Ella Grace Baldwin

Well, after not posting since the end of November, I am somewhat embarrassed, but maybe with the newest addition to our family, I'll be better at posting on a more frequent basis. Hey- one can hope, right? lol

Ella Grace Baldwin was born on December 29th, 2010 at 11:34 am. She weighed in at 6 lbs 6 oz, and measured 19 inches long. She is beautiful! A lot of you have been asking for details, so here they are:

I started having noticeable contractions at 11 pm on the 28th. My dear husband came home from work at 1:30 am to find me sitting in the chair by the fireplace with a pen & notebook in hand, and the stopwatch on my cell phone ready to go. Most of my contractions were 60-80 seconds long, and by the time he came home were about 7-10 minutes apart. We loaded up the car, called our midwife, and headed north. As we were driving, I remember thinking, "this really doesn't hurt that much, I can definitely do this..." When we arrived at our midwife's birthing center (LifeCircle Birthing & Wellness Center) in Shell Lake, WI at 3:30 am, she told me I was at 1.5 cm and definitely in labor. However, she encouraged us to go home and rest until my contractions were stronger & closer together. We headed to my parents house, and by 7 am, I was contracting every 3-5 minutes and my thinking changed to "wow this is really intense and is definitely painful."

We called our midwife, and headed back to her birthing center. I went from 1.5 cm to 5 cm in 5 hours. Our midwife estimated that I would deliver our baby around 2 pm that afternoon. I was so excited, but at the same time thought to myself...2 pm?! That's 6 hours away! Well, Ella had different plans, because within 2.5 hours, I was completely dilated and was told I could start pushing if I felt up to it. Within half an hour, Ella made her entrance via water birth. It was the most beautiful and powerful experience of my life. Having a natural birth was something I've wanted since the day I found out I was pregnant. I knew it would be painful, and wasn't afraid of the pain, but learning to let go of pain in the midst of a contraction and trusting my body to do the work God created it to do was life changing for me. I never knew I was capable of doing something like this- I am blown away at the strength God gives when we think we can't go on. I am also blown away by my amazing husband who was a rock and a great source of encouragement & comfort throughout labor. I am beyond blessed!

Ella truly is perfect in every way (I know that as her mom I'm a little biased), and has already brought so much joy to Andrew & I. Despite sleep deprivation, figuring out breastfeeding, and poopy diapers, I am beyond content and filled with so much love and joy for our daughter. Andrew and I are so blessed to be parents and are enjoying it very much!

1 comment:

  1. Precious! So glad we were able to be there to meet her in person. Shower her with kisses from all of us...you know my girls would be dishing them out like crazy! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete