Sunday, November 28, 2010

Another Chapter Finished

Wow...I am on a blogging roll!

As some of you know, I've been filling in at our church in the children's department. Today was my last day. I have had so much fun and have learned so much while spending time with and teaching the children at our church. They have truly wiggled their way into my heart...having a child come up to me, grab my hand and not let go, or give me huge hug makes it hard to walk away. However, I am blessed to know our children are going to be blessed beyond measure by our recently hired Children's Minister. She has so many great ideas, clearly loves the children, and has already become a friend. Below are some of the things I'm walking away with from my time with these kids...enjoy!

One day, I asked the kids this question: "If you could ask Jesus anything, what would you choose to ask?"
- I would ask Him what its like to forgive
- I would ask Him what it was like to die on the cross for us
- I'm not trying to be funny, Miss Hannah, but I would ask for a lot of money....like $100.00!
- Ummm Miss Hannah, I'm not trying to be funny either, but I would ask for an unlimited supply of cheeseburgers

The week before Thanksgiving, we told the kids that we had a special snack planned for them. But, the kids were having a hard time paying attention during the lesson, so I told them that if we didn't get through the lesson because of poor listening, we wouldn't be able to make the snack or eat it. Half way through the lesson, I asked the kids to calm down, and one of them cries out in anguish:

"YOU GUYS, THINK ABOUT SNACK!"

One Wednesday night, we were talking about the story "The Good Samaritan." In the Bible, it says a teacher of the law was the first to pass by the wounded man. So I explained this to the kids as a pastor. I said, "after the man had been lying on the side of the road, a pastor walked by. What do you think he did?"
Their responses were:
-He prayed for him
-He asked God to heal him
-He helped him
-He took him to a hospital
"Well, that's what you think he would do, right? But this pastor looked at that man, and crossed to the other side of the road, and kept walking!" To which one of the kids yelled out:

"HE'S NOT A REAL PASTOR! A REAL PASTOR WOULDN'T DO THAT!"
As one of my friends pointed out this morning, isn't it great that they have such a clear understanding of how a genuine pastor should act? Way to go to the parents
who have clearly instilled this understanding of truth!
And last but not least, today we were talking about reputations and what that means in our walk with Jesus. One of the kids says to me: "I've never even heard of that word before!" To which I replied, "well, that's why we're learning about it!"
There are tons of more things these children have said or blurted out in class that have caused me to struggle to not laugh (or at times lose my patience) but later on, have caused me to ponder on the truth of their statements. Sometimes, I think its easy to blow off what kids have to say as unimportant, or rude if it means they interrupted us to say what they wanted to say. But God has taught me a lot about faith and patience during my time with these kids...and I feel I learned the most during outbursts. I finished this chapter today with bittersweet but overall, thankful feelings and excitement for what is yet to come for these amazing kiddos!
Be blessed by the children in your life this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment